Lung Disease & Critical Care Doctors in Sandusky
Breathing – one of those essential body functions many of us take for granted until there’s something wrong. For those with conditions affecting the airways and making breathing difficult, everyday tasks can feel like a challenge. You may not feel like yourself. When this occurs, it may be time to turn to lung doctor in Sandusky and nearby.
What is a Pulmonologist?
Pulmonologists specialize in the treatment of diseases of the respiratory system, including the lungs and airway. Some pulmonologists also specialize in sleep disorders and may provide treatment in sleep laboratories.
Another type of specialist trained in the management of such conditions is a critical care doctor. Critical care medicine involves the diagnosis and treatment of critically ill patients, which require intensive care by a coordinated team. The critical care doctor may be the primary provider of care or a consultant, and is familiar with a broad range of conditions common among critically ill patients as well as with the procedures used in intensive care in Sandusky, Ohio at Firelands Regional Medical Center. The critical care doctor is also knowledgeable in areas such as end-of-life decisions, advance directives, and counseling of patients and their families.
Pulmonary Diseases & Lung Disorders
Firelands Physician Group pulmonologists provide the diagnosis and treatment of lung disorders, pulmonary vascular disease, and sleep disorders, including:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Other complex disorders of the lungs
- Sleep disorder
How You Can Keep Your Lungs Healthy
If you have a respiratory condition, you’re not alone. More than 730,000 Ohioans are living with COPD, the American Lung Association (ALA) states. Turning to a lung doctor in Sandusky is a great first step towards treatment, but there are other things you can do in the meantime. According to the ALA, there are important steps you can take to improve your lung health, including:
- Don’t smoke – cigarette smoking is the primary cause of lung cancer and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). Finding a local smoking cessation program can help you kick the habit. Also, Firelands Regional Medical Center offers screening with low-dose computed tomography (CT) for people at high risk for lung cancer.
- Avoid exposure to pollutants – this includes secondhand smoke, outdoor air pollution, chemicals in the home and workplace, and radon.
- Prevent infection – wash your hands regularly, avoid crowds during cold and flu season, practice good oral hygiene, get a flu vaccine each year, and if you do get sick, protect your loved ones by keeping your distance.
- Get regular healthcare – lung disease sometimes goes undetected until it is serious. By seeing your doctor regularly, they can check your breathing.
- Exercise - aerobic exercise can help improve your lung capacity. Specific breathing exercises can also help improve your lung function.
Find a Pulmonologist & Critical Care Doctor in Sandusky or Nearby
Our pulmonologists & critical care doctors serving Sandusky and surrounding areas are here for you. If you have questions about our services, we will do our best to answer them. Find the right pulmonologist & critical care doctor near you today.
Find a doctor