Local Kidney Care in Sandusky
The kidneys perform many critical functions. That’s why if you are faced with an issue concerning these hard-working organs, it’s best to have a doctor who specializes in the treatment of kidney disorders.
Nephrology is a subspecialty of Internal Medicine that focuses on the diagnoses and treatment of diseases of the kidney as well as any other issues that may arise if your kidneys are not working properly. In addition, nephrologists, also referred to as kidney doctors, oversee any dialysis treatment their patients may have.
Our nephrologists work closely with our diabetes nurse practitioners for patients who are experiencing kidney disease complicated by diabetes by providing the latest in hemodialysis science at our state-of-the-art dialysis clinics in Sandusky and Bellevue.
When Should I See a Kidney Doctor?
Your primary care physician may refer you to a kidney doctor in Sandusky, Bellevue, Port Clinton or nearby if you have any of the following issues:
- Acute renal failure
- Chronic kidney disease
- Decline in kidney function
- Chronic or repeat urinary tract infections
- High blood pressure that does not respond to medication
- Repeat kidney stones
- Blood or protein loss in the urine
How Can I Keep my Kidneys Healthy?
According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, there are several things you can do to keep your kidneys performing their best:
- Keep your blood pressure at the target set by your health care provider.
- If you have diabetes, control your blood glucose level.
- Keep your cholesterol levels in the target range.
- Take medicines the way your provider tells you to.
- Aim for less than 2,300 milligrams of sodium each day.
- Choose heart-healthy foods such as fresh fruits, fresh or frozen vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy foods.
- Limit your alcohol intake.
- Be more physically active.
- Lose weight if you are overweight. Firelands Regional Medical Center offers a weight management program through the Center for Coordinated Care that can help you.
- If you smoke, take steps to quit. Firelands Regional Medical Center offers a Freedom From Smoking class for smoking cessation.
Find a Nephrologist in Sandusky or Nearby
Our nephrologists are here for you and will do their best to answer any questions you may have. Find information on our nephrologists in Sandusky, Bellevue, Port Clinton and nearby today.
Find a Nephrologist